Wednesday 23 April 2008

music to my ears

Moving right along with my photos from the year 2001. Great memories, but those 8X10 's from Hawaii are a little more fun to work with! Here are a few pics from the days when we all - parents and kids alike - played in a community band. This is what home schoolers do. Hats off to Peter Gravlin for putting up with us all those years! I don't know how he did it. I actually learned to play the bass drum! tada!! If I was allowed to bring that drum home it would have made a very effective wake up call at 7am!! haha nothing like waking up to the Hallelujah chorus...well the bass drum part anyways!

A few families got together in our basement to practice and then did a mini concert at one of the seniors homes. It didn't sound very good..actually if I remember correctly it was downright awful. But seniors don't hear all too well and are very forgiving. Come to think of it they never did invite us back.

Do your kids play an instrument? I do believe (and remember I am over 50 now so this is wisdom speaking here) that all children should learn to play some instrument, even if their practicing drives us to the furthest corner of the house.

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
Aldous Huxley

and what home has silence??

3 comments:

Mrs. Wizzle said...

Julie this brings memories of our church's adult band ( all of us beginners) and the "concert" we gave at the senior's home. We too were glad that most were deaf or close to it!! I like the way you pulled the pictures and paper together. You are just pumping them out.

Make sure you take lots of pictures at your spring fling at JSI. I am wishing that I could be there.

Julie Cortens said...

Ha ha Mrs Wizzle, I will indeed get photos of the spring fling...I was out buying my hippy beads this afternoon - not that I remember any of that era though....chuckle. Also the families that joined us in this little band ministry were all famiies in our church. It is a good place to round people up on a Sunday afternoon.

Lucy Mills said...

What a gorgeous page! Music is a wonderful thing.
Thanks for your comment on my blog!
God bless x