Sunday 20 May 2007

Shilo

My precious son Mark is in Shilo Manitoba training with the Canadian Armed Forces. At church today someone said to me "Hey did you hear a soldier was shot several times by accident at Shilo? They haven't released his name." My heart sunk really fast. Fear filled me. Mark was supposed to meet me on MSN last night and he didn't show up. He wasn't answering his phone. It was a few hours before I confirmed that it was not Mark, but in those moments I felt a deep fear. And yet there was a part of me that knew that God was in control of everything and that even if I heard the worst He would see me through it. I knew the odds of it being Mark were slim - there are a lot of soldiers at Shilo..and yet...it could easily be him given the work he does. Life often throws unexpected events our way. Some can be devastating. Are we ready for them? Will He really carry us through the hard times? I believe with all my heart He will...in His supernatural way.

The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs--heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him. For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us... And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. (Romans 8:16-18, 28)

I am rejoicing in the knowledge that I have been called according to His perfect purpose, that I am a child of God, a fellow heir with Christ, looking forward to future glory. Until then He will work all things for good.

Mark called during supper - it was sure nice to hear his voice! I told him he was missing the best shake N bake chicken ever thanks to the convection grill mode on the new stove!! God is so good!

Blessings!
Julie

5 comments:

Liz said...

Julie, I can totally relate to how you felt. Although it was in a totally different province than my son is stationed, when the two RCMP shootings happened, my heart just sank, I knew it couldn't possibly be him, but the tears fell regardless. I still couldn't feel that he was totally safe until I heard his voice again.

scrappaleica said...

Julie, I am so glad to hear that it wasn't Mark.

Laura said...

Julie, can't imagine what it must have been like for you until you have experienced it for yourself. So glad to know Mark is safe, but also glad to know in whom we get our strength from. He is a great God!

Pam said...

Julie I heard about the shooting and I am so glad that it was not Marc! I was thinking about you as i was at home when this happened!

Kelly said...

Julie, your heart must have sank ... glad he is okay.
Love the new LO's from your date!