Tuesday 12 June 2007

Lunenburg, Nova Scotia

If you ever visit Nova Scotia, try to spend a day at Lunenburg. This quaint, beautifully kept heritage town was established in 1753 as the first British Colonial settlement in Nova Scotia outside of Halifax. These early settlers were from various parts of Germany, Switzerland, and France. Many of the settlers were enticed to come to Nova Scotia by being offered freedom of religion - there are five rather large churches in this small town, one of them being the oldest Lutheran church in Canada established in 1784. There is also a larger beautiful Anglican church built by the British of course. Pictured below. We were able to go into this church and take pictures.





This church actually caught fire and was very badly damaged Halloween night 2001. Click here for a photo of the damaged building. It was rebuilt to the tune of 6.7 million dollars!! The stain glassed windows were miticulously put back together from old photos. Amazing! Some of the pews are charred from the fire.


Many of the settlers were not fishermen, they were farmers - but it didn't take them long to learn the trade. When you live on the Atlantic ocean you fish - which btw is a very dangerous profession and the men in an entire family could and often were wiped out in one storm at sea.
This photo gives you a glimpse of the colourful homes and buildings. The people of Lunenburg often painted their homes the colour of their boats - and they shared their paint too! One home might be bright red the next blue the third red with blue trim. Amazingly the colours all seem to work quite well together. We had lunch at the "Olde Fish Factory" - that big red building on the wharf. Just fish and chips and a Kieths - Nova Scotia's home brewed beer. Notice the church steeples in the background?



Above is one of the first homes in Lunenburg - built in the late 1700's by someone with some wealth! What you will notice is that most of the homes have large dormers built out of the front of the house - usually three stories high. The top of the dormer is known as the "widows watch". Here is where the wife would stand to look out to sea and watch for her men - husbands and sons. If a ship was coming into harbour with it's flag at half mast, it meant someone was lost at sea. She wouldn't know who or how many until they docked. What a life! This house to the right above is one of the oldest in Lunenburg - mid 1700's and it is for sale - list in $300,000.00. Kind of small but rather pretty!



This house to the left is only 150 yrs old, but I love the yellow!! What a huge house! Can you imagine a scrapbook room on the upper floor overlooking the ocean - talk about inspiration!




And to the right above - more of those 'widows watch' rooms. Take a look at the intricate carvings over the windows and on the corner of the house.


David had a brief chat with alocal fisherman - actually he is not real - but he did talk when you stood near him - funny! Lunenburg is full of small shops - a full days worth - very nautical and local craft kind of wares. And funky wear - like these great rain boots! Wish I had more room in my suitcase and on my VISA!




This next photo is of Lunenburg Acadamy for grades K to 6. It is located on "Gallows Hill" where legend has it a few people were hung. So they say the building is haunted. Just what every kindergarten kid wants to know. Doesn't help that there are graveyards on three sides of the school and the only bathrooms are in the basement. You are not allowed to go down there alone! It has been deemed a heritage site.

And finally a picture down at the wharf - fishing and sailboats everywhere. Lunenburg btw is home to the "Bluenose" the fastest scooner on record - built and moored in Lunenburg. It is also on the Canadian dime. Unfortunately no pictures - it was off on a jaunt to Virginia when we visited.









I would encourage you to double click on any of the photos so you can see the details - especially the small fishing boats in Peggy's Cove. I am born and raised on the prairies...but I have to say there is a fisherman in me somewhere - I love being at the ocean - the Pacific, the Atlantic and the Carribean! There is something about the air at the ocean that just draws me. I want to go back...and if my sweetheart felt the same way we would buy that little pilgrims house in Lunenburg and I would open a local scrapbook store!! But I would miss my kids in Western Canada.
Stay tuned - Halifax harbour and lobster feast is coming up! For my photos of Peggy's Cove, scroll down to the posting below. and try double clicking!
Thanks for looking!

7 comments:

Sonya and David said...

Julie, These are all such great photos that you've posted! I guess you'll have some major scrapping ahead of you. Enjoy the memories!

Angie said...

These are AMAZING photos. And the history with them is great. It makes me want to go there. Thanks for sharing.

Laura said...

I have always wanted to vacation the maritimes, hope to one day. Love the essence of the people and the way of life you caught in your pictures.

Anonymous said...

Julie; You did an amazing job of capturing the feel of the Maritimes, made me home sick, need a trip soon now. Lorraine

Anonymous said...

Julie,

I saw great pictures, questions, where would you choose to live, Lunenburg or Bridgewater?

Julie Cortens said...

Hello anonymous. :) I am not sure which I would prefer. I think we drove through Bridgewater but I don't remember. I am sure it has the same, small community feel with that wonderful ocean air. I wonder if the winters are a little less harsh in Bridgewater being a tiny bit more inland. My next visit to Nova Scotia I might consider a B&B there. If I could take all my children with me I might live in either place. How about you? Which would you choose?

Anonymous said...

You did a great job with these descriptions. I live 45 minutes from Lunenburg and I enjoyed your comments.