Sunday 24 June 2007

Layouts

Here are a few more layouts...finally. My blogger has not been letting me upload any layouts - I get a message error that has yet to be resolved. It seems to have no proplem with my pictures - just my layouts - they are both jpeg file - so HOW does it know. I have sent some of my layouts to the shop - photoshop that is and they underwent reduction... still there is one layout at 2.5 mb it will NOT upload - even though it uploads a slightly larger one. Go figure! So while it might say 8mb limit - the reality is more like 2 mb!



Journalling reads..."The Polynesian Cultural Center is a unique and exciting attraction that every Hawaii traveler should visit. With our host "cousin Vetti" we experienced Hawaiian and other Pacific cultures by visiting the six recreated native villages. We visited the 'Islands' of Samoa, New Zealand, Tahiti, Fiji, Hawaii, and Tonga. Remember the Japanese visitor on the drums. Funny! Many of the pictures below are from the Rainbows of Paradise canoe pageant that we watched during the day. Very entertaining. They danced while floating on huge rafts on the canal. In the evening we attended an authentic Luau and then the world's largest night show – or so they tell us. At the Luau we were greeted with traditional fresh flower lei and ate traditional old style foods while enjoying a hula show.

As newlyweds, Paul and Allie were invited up on stage. As a couple celebrating an anniversary, David and I were also invited up on stage – and we danced to romantic Hawaiian music. Kind of fun! Then off to the big show & our ice cream dessert. It was very colorful and there were lots of drums, impressive dancing and Hawaiian music. It was very enjoyable and very well done - a terrific end to a very full day. I think the Polynesian Cultural Center was one of the highlights of our Hawaiian experience. "



This had to be really reduced in size and quality to upload - but if you double click on it you can see it much clearer. Journalling reads..." The Bombing of Pearl Harbor, the morning of Sunday, December 7, 1941, was a surprise attack by Japan on the United States naval base at Pearl Harbor, Oahu, Hawaii. US casualties were heavy and included 2,403 dead; 1,178 wounded; 5 battleships, 3 destroyers, 3 cruisers, and 188 planes. Japan casualties, by contrast, included 64 dead, 1 captured, 29 planes and 4 submarines. The loss of sailors, marines and officers represent the greatest loss of life of any ship in American naval history. The names of those lost are carved on a wall in the memorial.

On these pages are pictures of models of some the ships involved – including the Japanese aircraft carrier. The tour of the museum led by our own personal headphones and recordings was very informative. This is a must see tour for anyone going to Oahu.

The USS Arizona Memorial itself is an enclosed bridge which spans the hull of the sunken USS Arizona. The aerial view shows the ghostly shadow of the remains of the great battleship Arizona. Spanning the wreck is the Memorial. Turret 1 and 2 are visible at low tide although the guns and machinery, have been removed. This family picture was taken on the Memorial. "

Okay - so I like to add a little history to my page - it must be the homeschooling Mom in me...if you are going to look at something you might as well learn a little about it while you are at it. :)

One of my favorite pages - I had all these shots of the kids on the beach.

Thought for the day... "Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls."
Mat 11:28-29

Thanks for looking! Have a great day!
Julie

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the new header image! My parents just figured out how they know you...they met your husband when he came out a few years back:)
What does your son do in the military?

Julie Cortens said...

David and Paul (very far left with his new wife Allie) visited Arizona about four years ago for a conference. Mark is with the comunications reserve (signals operator) - currently posted and doing leadership training in Shilo Manitoba, Canada. He starts fire fighting school in September. Harold and Allison are at home. :)

Kelly said...

Julie, as alwats I love your blog - the layouts are super, especially the beach bums one - look slike it was a blast!

Anonymous said...

Hey I just recognized one of you layouts on... TWOPEAS. It was exciting to a familiar face on there when I was just flipping through the latest posts

scrappaleica said...

Julie, great layouts. I think your work is great.

Anonymous said...

your new header looks great Julie!
I had a good laugh at your u-tube too.
Lovely layouts-
Have a wonderful day,

Ane said...

Love your blog~ Especially the PCC vacation pics! I am a polynesian mama and I love my culture, its great to see you do too!! Have a great Thursday!
Aloha~

Anonymous said...

Hi Julie

My name is Sylvie and I went in Hawaii for vacation. I'm busy to scrapbook my pictures. Can you tell me which paper did you use for The Polynesian Cultural Center? ( I like it !). Thanks in advance.

Julie Cortens said...

Hi Sylvie,
That is a line of paper from Basic Grey - from back in 2007 - so it is not around anymore.
But any of the distressed Basic Grey line (try their new distressed carstock)in two tones will work. I tore the bottom paper to give it that white water look. The flowers are from Prima. The rub on letters I think are Making Memories. I ran the paper through my printer to do the journalling on the rt hand paper. I also sanded, ever so slightly, the edges of each photo rather then mat them. This gave me a little more room on the page.