Saturday 16 June 2007

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Some people take photos of their cute kids, but since mine are all grown up I take photos of architecture...I am sure this will change when I have grandchildren!

These photos are of the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia. It was built in 1867 and was called the Dominion Building before it became the Art Gallery. We toured the gallery - they had a display of unique quilts and also some treasures, including real 'mummies' from Egypt.

The Bank of Nova Scotia - or the Scotia Bank - of course began in Nova Scotia and was built in 1832 - one of the oldest banks in Canada. That's 175 yrs ago. It has been preserved in all its splendour. The elevator doors are brass and very shiny. It was an impressive building. Despite all the poverty of the time, I guess people needed to feel their money was secure. The front entrance to the bank is two 14 ft solid brass doors - sorry no pics of them, I had to run to catch up with my tour group.















I really like this picture of the street behind our hotel. It captures the essence of 19 century downtown Nova Scotia - if you can ignor the modern buildings in the background.











Pressgang - "a body of men under the command of an officer, employed to impress other men for service, especially in the navy or army.” Our tour guide told us the legend of how the 'press gang' would recruit young men to be privateers for the British Navy. It didn't sound like they had much choice. Privateers were like legal pirates for the British Navy- pehaps not as nasty.








.
We deliberated over where to eat Friday night after the conference - The Five Fishermen or Salties - boith came very highly recommended - but Salties won out - it was on the wharf and overlooking the ocean and we were looking for lobster - a whole lobster!!












Okay - enough history lessons for one day!! Have to get outside - it is beautiful!
Thanks for looking! Leave a comment so I know you were here. :)

7 comments:

Ralna Nordstrom said...

oh that's gonna be a great lobster page

Murray said...

Please take us with you next time!!!

Thanks for sharing your trip via pictures.

- Murray and Cheryl

Pam said...

I love the photos Julie! You take such amazing shots! I love the lobster pics! my favorite food!

Sonya and David said...

Julie....I think these pics are wonderful!...oh and you've added the pics of the "kid at heart" on the bottom too...LOL!

scrappaleica said...

julie, you capture such amazing photos, I am so in love with architecture photos. I think those are my favourite. I agree with pam, lobster is so yummy!

Dawn Hueser said...

Awesome photography Julie, I feel like I was right there with you. My favourite has to be the lobster with his butter dish hehe

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.