Sunday 8 July 2007

Sam

Yesterday was a very sad day for us. Our sweet black lab had to be put to sleep. Sam had to be the most wonderful dog in the world. This was a dog you could give a piece of steak to and then just take it out of his mouth and he would look at you as if to say "did I do something wrong?" He never bit, nipped, jumped up...he was just a perfect dog. okay as a puppy he chewed on electrical cords - live ones too - but it didn't last long as you can well imagine! We did have to rewire two lamps.

Our boys would play street hockey for hours with the neighbours and Sam was always there - even getting a stick in the face once in a while - he loved it. When there was a shot on goal that missed and went flying down the street, that was Sam's cue - his turn to go get the ball and whoever called him he would go right to him and then they would say"drop Sam" and he would put the ball at their feet. What a dog! The kids - all the neighbourhood kids, thought Sam was the coolest dog ever! And he was. Every stranger who came into our yard was greeted with a wagging tail - even the meter reader!

But Sam got old and while he dearly wanted to play fetch, his back hips would not cooperate. Then an illness in his belly started and life just became so difficult. Trips out to the back yard in the morning were exhausting...and so we had to let him go. I think this is one of the hardest things I have ever done. But we were there with him and loving on him as he fell asleep and I think he knew that he was just too tired to keep going.

Death is so final. There is no going back - ever. While Sam was a pet, I am reminded that our Creator holds our lives and the lives of our loved ones in the palm of His hand. He alone knows our time - long or short. He alone! I am reminded to consider what is important in this life...and it is not things, events, doings....what is important is knowing who I am in Him and that there is eternal life when our time is up...what is important to me, is knowing that when this brief visit here on earth is over, real life begins with my Saviour and there will be no pain, no sorrow, no heartache...but only joy. In the meantime, as I wait, I need to consider all things in the Light of Christ. My prayer tonight is that everyone reading this post will know Jesus Christ as He desires to be known - as the only Savior for sinners who continually fall short of the glory of God. But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God, who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God. (John 1:12-13)

Blessings!
Julie

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

julie,
so sorry to hear about sam - you will miss him more than you realize.
Sam will leave a hole in a heart which will be there for some time to come. Dogs are truly special and irreplacable.
My thoughts and prayers are with you at this time.

Kelly said...

That is so sad about Sam - he seemed like a truly wonderful pet. Thanks for the encouragement in Truth about eternity, how easy that is to forget and get whisked away in our daily lives, forgetting where the focus should really be.

scrappaleica said...

Julie, sorry to hear about your loved pet, but I am glad you have all the awesome memories to remember. It does put things in focus...

Allie said...

Sorry about Sam. :( I know you did the right thing and you also gave him a very happy home for a long time!
Love
Allie

Angie said...

Sorry to hear about Sam, and am also glad you have happy memories with him.

Anonymous said...

Give yourself a big hug for me - I know what it's like and I'm so sorry to hear about Sam.

Sharon said...

Julie, I know how hard Saturday was for you. Sam was a part of your family. I remember when my Grandfather died and everyone was so sad. I looked at my mother and told her that I was sure Grandma was waiting at the gates of heaven for him asking him "Where have you been Bill Follack . . . I've been waiting for you." Everyone felt relief in that knowing that they were finally back together keeping each other company. I am sure Sam will be waiting for you welcoming you home one day. He's somewhere wonderful; happy and in no pain.

Anonymous said...

Julie
I am so sorry to hear about Sam! To some people pets are just pets but for those who love their pets, they are so much more!
Pam

Ralna Nordstrom said...

Julie it's so hard to say goodbye to our pets, they give us unconditional love and ask for so little in return. Sam will be missed, but as they say time heals all wounds and it does.