Saturday 8 September 2007

Life at our house

It has been busy but actually wonderful around our house. I always feel good after I have accomplished great things even if they involve washing carpets and spring cleaning in September - the results of two kids moving away to University.
Allison left for Briercrest on Sunday. We drove her up with all her belongings and I was sure we would be bringing a good bit of it back, but her dorm room is quite large, with great drawers, closets and shelves and so it all fit in quite nicely.


David and I managed to spend the afternoon in numerous line ups with Allison (met the president of the collage), write a cheque and get her moved into her into her dorm just in time to get back on the highway and hear the last 30 sec of the Riders/Bombers game - how exciting and especially great for us to be 30 min ahead of all that Riders traffic back to Saskatoon.
Passing the time with my camera on the trip home !


We spoke with Allison on the phone today as we drove through Regina (coming home from Brandon where Mark was dropped off) and she is quite excited about her new room mate and friend, April - another 17 yr old from Maple Ridge B.C. Allison sounds like she was really having a great time meeting all the girls on her floor - all basketball players! She will have her internet up and running by tonight, she has bought all her text books and started some reading and she is having lots of fun. Not a hint of home sickness after 6 days. :)



We arrived home to the weeks work and to help Mark arrange a U-haul, get a hitch for my SUV and get him packed up on Friday. We managed to make it all fit and balanced as per instructions- what a science!!

Here is the caravan ready to head out Friday.

And set up on arrival!

David, Mark and I arrived in Brandon at 9:30 pm. We were unpacked and off to Montana's for a very late supper(it was nice and quiet there) - we all slept well. His new duplex is beautiful and is a perfect set up for two young men ready to study hard for the next 10 months.

An 8am breakfast at Smitty's, lots of hugs and we were on the highway AGAIN!!


Not bad for cruising at 110km/hr with a trailer bumping around on the back!

My favorite picture of the trip back - we passed a semi and I took a picture of the wheels. Look closely - can you see my Mazda? Cool eh? ...going 110 here! ...oh I wasn't driving though! Try double clicking on this picture.

Since getting home late this afternoon we have moved one bedroom's worth of furniture into Mark's empty room and I have washed the carpets in Paul's old room in preparation for Harold to move into that room - oh to finally have these rooms CLEAN!! I am waiting on another load of sheets and heading to bed!

David flys off to Chicago early tomorrow afternoon - what a crazy week!!

Thanks for letting me share my week with you! It has been fun! But I am getting too old for all this! :)

Blessings!

Julie

PS - did I mention what a fantastic husband I have? Willing to drive the 6+ hrs both ways, (I wanted to snooze and take pictures)help me with all this furniture moving and cleaning knowing he is flying off to meetings in Chicago in 16 hrs. I love him!

10 comments:

Angie said...

Wow, whan exciting week, and I am sure emotional too...I can't even imagine what it would be like to send my kids off to college...I'm having a hard enough time sending MacKenzie to preschool...maybe next year...lol

I LOVE the picture of the semi wheel...very neat picture

Angie said...

Wow, whan exciting week, and I am sure emotional too...I can't even imagine what it would be like to send my kids off to college...I'm having a hard enough time sending MacKenzie to preschool...maybe next year...lol

I LOVE the picture of the semi wheel...very neat picture

Sheryl said...

Julie what a week you had. I think sending your children off into the great unknown is a little easier when they have the grounding of a strong faith and great parenting to stand on. I know Allison is going to have a great time at Briercrest. She will make friendships that will last a lifetime.
Julie, husbands who truely understand their wives and do all they can to love and support them are rare today. Those of us that have them are truely blessed. Now I think you need to find that pillow with your name written on it and have a much deserved nap.

Allie said...

Great pictures, especially the semi wheel one! The house must seem a bit quiet now. Well, next week you can come listen to us being noisy!

Love,
Allie

Liz said...

Hi Julie; I always check in on your blog every couple of days, love you scrapping style and your photos. I am also a bit amazed at how our lives run parallel at times. Your son and my son, both chosing different and dangerous (at times) professions, both being in Shilo with their chosen careers at the same time and now, you son and my daughter-in-law attending college in Brandon. My daughter-in-law started at Assibiboine College last week taking a two year finance course and until Adam is posted in Virden in Oct/Nov, she is living in Brandon. What a small world. Anyway - keep up the great blog and the great inspiration. PS. we also both have great hubbies who encourage our passions - what a blessing.

Kate said...

OK, that pic is just about the coolest thing I've seen! WTG!

Julie Cortens said...

Liz - it truely is something that our children keep ending up in the same place. I wonder if they will meet up in Brandon - I will let Mark know Adam's name.
Yes, we are so blessed. I am looking forward to my sweethearts return very late tomorrow night! Seven hours befor we catch a flt to Victoria for my p;arents 60th. In the meantime I am quite enjoying the clean up of this almost "empty nest" stage of our lives.
Angie - we have not found it hard to send the kids off. They are ready and well grounded and ready for their wings! Just as Sheryl mentioned. It truely feels wonderful to see them succeed and move on in their lives to become independent people. Invest in them now. I look forward to most of them home for Thanksgiving and all of them at Christmas. It really is a great time for us. We have been preparing for years. The hard part is writing the cheques!!! :)
Allie - can't wait to see you guys on Tue. and you may be as noisy as you like.

Ralna Nordstrom said...

Great pics Julie especially the semi wheel. Good to hear Allison is settling in. I remember so vividly the week I moved away from home, to Edmonton. I was 17, in my own apartment, starting college, 6 hours away from my parents. It was awesome and scary but I didn't have time be homesick.

Kelly said...

Wow, I can't even imagine all the changes you have been facing in the past week! And clean carpets to boot!
Now I am sending Jada off to Kindergarten, and I just know it will seem like yesterday when I am sending her off to college.
Everyone else is right - the pic of the semi wheel is too cool!!

Thelma Findlay said...

Is that the Qu'Appelle Valley - love that valley that stretches forever ... and how it comes up on you when you are driving. And I recognize the elevator outside of Brandon - have always meant to snap a photo of it, but never stop to do so. Better yet, if I would just keep my camera out, I could get a snap on the drive-by!